Saturday, June 11, 2011

Scouts Honor

I spent this past week as a craft/woodworking instructor to 110 boys ages 6-11. I stayed on my feet from 7:30 to 3:30 building bird houses, tool boxes and step stools. I was actually pretty proud of myself for mastering pre-drilled holes, wrangling split wood and nail holding without finger loss.


My son did things he has never done before- BB gun target bulls eyes, archery and swimming goals. It was so good to see him feeling proud of himself. We all need that every now and then. To learn something we really did not see ourselves ever learning.


God's the master of that in our lives. The character trait you never thought you would have- low and behold that's just the one He's got waiting in the wings for you. Patience, Hospitality, Courage, etc.. things that are maybe as foreign as Japanese Kabuki Dancing to you will be planted and grown by the Holy Spirit right in your heart.


I am watching that in a friend of mine. She has a newly acquired power to say no to old vices, a stirring to reach out to strangers, a hunger to read and understand God's word. I cannot describe the thrill I feel at seeing this in her. I am deeply proud of our God. I am just as thrilled to see me choosing joy over bitterness, speaking words of life, soft words over biting ones. Looking at the glass and not seeing it half empty and the rest of it taken up with poison, as my sister would say about our tendency to pessimism.

He makes me feel honorable and fulfilled in Him. He gives me a reason to look up.

 Makes me feel the words of this song:
Your Great Name
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gbBrlAVm20&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment