Friday, September 2, 2011

Faking it

Faking it- I'm for it.

Here's why, I am uptight. Look up uptight white lady and you will find me in the illustration photo. I am a neat freak. I like my pillows neatly stacked on my sofa, my floor vacuumed and my house free of clutter. I am an introvert. I like to be left alone with a good book or movie. I hate it when I hear a curse word (cringe) or see someone type "LMAO" (alphabet soup cursing). 

My natural tendencies make for a very poor hostess, bad friend and miserable mother.

So, I started faking it. I started inviting groups of people to my home even if it made me a nervous wreck. Oddly after a while, it stopped making me nervous.

I started trying to be the friend who actually listened to what people said instead of getting my next sentence ready in my head. Still working on that one but hopefully "Good listener" might actually be uttered with my name some where in the universe.

I have played games of Guess Who, Candy land and Monopoly that probably resulted in TMJ from the grinding of my teeth. I have listened to long video game sagas, puppy stories and episodes of Zach and Cody. I may not have looked like I was having the time of my life but I was present and engaged.

The key to faking it is to be sincere. Ironically ironic isn't it.
Don't pretend to be thrilled, just keep an open mind. Act out of love and let the person be what keeps your interest.

Faking it rarely succeeds with out one very essential secret weapon.
Pray that God will change you to be more like Him before you embark on faking it. That's when faking it morphs into obedience and God really likes to bless that.

Have to go my son is begging me to watch Suite Life on Deck with him, sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment