Monday, April 23, 2012

Go Fly a Kite!

As goes the quote "The best laid plans of mice and me often go awry". Okay, it's "mice and men" but trust me, "me" is just as accurate.
Sunday was the visual aid on that quote.

I am a natural born planner. I enjoy planning. I like to picture how every detail will come together to make an experience great.

Unfortunately it's the perfect set up for disappointment, except for this Sunday.

Sunday, I cleaned the house as my husband prepared all the food, with the plan that after Church some friends of ours would come and eat with us. My daughter was so excited because she loves their daughter and has wanted her to come over for months.

At church we discovered our friends were home sick with various illnesses. We decided to ask another family to come for dinner but they too had other commitments.

"Well", we told ourselves, "It just was not meant to be".

For once I actually felt okay about my plans falling through. It was a beautiful day.

After a round of basketball with my daughter, we decided to try to fly a kite.

Truth is, I have never in 35 years of life been able to get a kite in the air for a long flight. Okay, at the beach but that is really cheating because the wind never stops there. I fully expected we would run around the field for a while, laugh and call it a day.

On the third try the kite took off.
Soon I had let out all the string.
I will not lie, my heart was racing.
My daughter brought me the string from another kite and we tied it on, and let it all out too.
It was exhilarating!
It must have been a football field of kite string up in the air, maybe more- it took forever to wind up all that string.

My plans did not account for that.
I did not even bring enough string.
If that's not a metaphor for the Christian life, there never was one.
Expect great unexpected things, act like they are going to happen, because by faith they will.

I think it was a very personal gift just for me from God.
He knew exactly what would impact me the most, comfort and refocus my heart.

I hope He snags you out of what ever rut you are in to day and plays that perfect note of a new song in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment