Tuesday, February 5, 2013

How to share Christ with someone who really doesn't like Him

Sure it's easy to talk with Christ to someone who is agreeable.
They may not give a hoot about what you are saying, but they will listen politely and make appropriate comments.
Personally, I find that equally sad as the person who just openly does not like Christ.

So recently I was struggling over how to share Christ with a person who is a compulsive liar.
Every conversation feels like a minefield with this person.
I stay hyper-alert to steer and direct the conversation away from dangerous waters and gossip.
I almost never remember to speak of what Christ means to me because I am so busy keeping myself from getting angry over the lies.
I don't think this person means all the trouble they cause, I think they just want to be taken seriously and have found a very destructive way to achieve that.

Then it hit me.
So simple it seems foolish, yet brilliant (which means it came directly from the Holy Spirit because I am clearly not brilliant on this topic).

I need to pray that God will take away their need to lie. This could transform our conversations.

This is not a way for me to abdicate my responsibility to share, I will still pray that God frees my mouth and mind to speak His words, but it zeros in on the stumbling block that lies before me.

So when faced with the person who believes:

"God is mean"- pray God will free them from anger.
or
"God is a prop for the weak"- pray God will free them from the crushing squeeze of control
or
"God is a kill joy"- pray that God will give them a taste of real joy

It goes on and on.

Just pray that for the moment that they need it, the burden of their sin might be lifted so that they can see the face of God. I have nothing to say that compares with what He actually has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment