Saturday, May 28, 2011

Life's a stage

Oh, a mother's love. We sit through hours of practice, rehearsals, ticket sales all for those few moments on stage. My daughter has an uncanny dedication to dance, a quiet focus that seemed weird at age 3 but has continued on. Now at age 7 she is dedicated to ballet. She just finished her last rehearsal with one dance school and will be moving to another that specializes in Ballet.

I have to confess, I love to watch graceful ballerinas at work. I find myself longing to dance with them. My toe points on it's own, my hand curves and floats up from my side. I quickly clamp down on those urges, with a glance around to make sure no one saw.


Maybe I should take dance classes for myself. Just for the fun of it. I have no fantasies that I am graceful- I have broken a toe rather dramatically by waking into my own sofa. But sometimes we need to give ourselves permission to follow a dream that makes no practical sense at all. Why do we mother's feel guilty for having fun? Plain old, not goal oriented fun. Maybe you don't, and good for you, but I never felt more guilty for wanting to "waste" time until I became a mom. But aren't the coolest Mom's the ones who have a passion for life in general that runs in tandem with Motherhood. The amazing Photographer, the Runner, the Teacher, the Swimmer, the Cook, etc... whom you can tell loves their child to bits.


I could sugar coat my little secret by saying- Hey, I am going to take a dance class for exercise and isn't that healthy of me. It would be a lie, because if I did it, it would be because the urge to dance won the day over the urge not to. 


I hope you dance.

1 comment:

  1. Your daughter is just beautiful.
    When we went to Disney I was selected to sing on the American Idol stage at Hollywood Studios and I sang I hope you dance. Great song!

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete