Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's day after

Yesterday, as usual I get so wound up pre-holiday that my expectations get in the way of just enjoying the day. So, I determined to "chill-lax" and just take it as it came. (I really have to get rid of this bad great expectations habit of mine, it's way too melodramatic)


So I woke up to cards and peanut butter chocolates. I ate Shrimp Alfredo, fried green tomatoes and Cheesecake for lunch- yes that's just what I wanted. I also sadly ate Cheesecake, chocolate, bacon and cashews for Dinner. I do regret Dinner- as is true often in life, getting what I wanted just gave me a tummy ache, not satisfaction. Note to self, apply more common sense to splurge days.

Motherhood is something I do not regret choosing to embrace for a nano-second. I spent the first 5 years of my marriage convinced that I would make a horrible mother due to my dramatic and explosive temper. After years of counseling, bible study and doing children's counseling myself, I got the idea that I had a God big enough to change me. - (insert dreamy smile as I look at where I am now)




Yesterday we were watching the Duggars. We don't have cable, we only watch TV through Net-flix or the Internet (financial and parenting decision), so the episode we were watching was on Net-flix from when the Duggars only had a mere 17 kids and one on the way. I was glued to the TV every time Michelle spoke. She was a natural. The soft voice, the ready laugh and smile. You never got a sense that she was on edge, gritting her teeth at any point or feeling like a simmering pot of water ready to boil like I often feel. I know TV editing being what it is can create a persona but I am sure catching her lose it would make the TV folks happier and ratings soar more than her constant calm. I really believe this lady is a natural Mom. I want to soak some of it up. I may not agree with all their choices, although I can see the sense in most of them. Mostly, I really like her mom style.


Here's to you mother Duggar and all the other Mom's who have set an example for those of us who need one.

No comments:

Post a Comment