Monday, January 2, 2012

Beastly

I hate fasting.


Yep, let me start off this bright shiny, first blog of the new year with my lame complaining.


I hate the feeling I get when I fast.


By around 12 noon my head begins to ache with a low level ache and my jaw begins the clinch.


By 2 pm I start getting very tired and cold.


By 6pm the coldness is bone deep and only many layers of blankets and clothing can keep it at bay.


I go to bed as soon as I can in a subconscious race to morning.


So why fast? If I feel grouchy, miserable and desiring to withdraw from all human contact, why would I do this?


The Louisiana Baptist Convention has asked all member churches to enter a 21 day time period of prayer and fasting for the first 21 days of January 2012. They have a 21 day devotional called Awaken that you can do at the same time.
(It is a priceless devotional, it is AMAZING!).
It calls into question all my complacency and foolishness. It points out the fact that real revival changes the tone of the whole community and gives some pretty amazing examples of that. Like the faith based transformations at Angola Prison in Louisiana.


My husband and I desperately want to see that kind of transformation in our community. Deep down I know it has to start with me. I have to be wholly submitted to Christ. I have to seek Him in prayer like never before.


I pray. I pray frequently, multiple times in the day. But I have grown discouraged, my scripture memory is not what it should be. I want to see my Church transformed for the glory of God but doubts have been creeping in about if it will ever happen. 


The 21 days seemed like a great place to face the issues. We decided to fast from food for three days- the three Mondays of the 21 day time period. I will drink only water, milk and juice on those days. We will also abstain from TV on those Mondays to make time for prayer. Also we will pray together and read the devotional every night of the 21 days.


Now the bible instructs that I am to appear as normal on the days that I fast, not drawing attention to my fast to keep it secret. Matt. 6:16-18


I know I pretty much just blew that one, but I want to share what is happening not because I am spotlighting my super buff spirituality but I want to tell you I am a CRY BABY and even I can do this. 
I scratch and scrap my way through this but it's doable.


Their are dozens of types of fasts: a Daniel fast (basically vegan but more strict), media fast, sweets fasts, caffeine fast, etc... they're basically as diverse as the types of habits people can have. God will lead you to the one that will have the right impact on you.


The only way to waste a fast is to do it with out God's leading and not pray when it gets hard.


Every time I have ever fasted God has revealed something important to me. Usually about a problem I have been blind to in my own life. It's a time of deep repentance.


Already on the 2nd day of this fast my husband and I realized we have not been communicating about important spiritual issues in our lives. We have already made real progress in our commitment to God and each other. That's day 2!


In this new year I challenge you to think about ways you can let God stretch you.


You can trust Him. HE IS WORTHY OF YOUR TRUST.

No comments:

Post a Comment