Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Bottling Plant

What are you bottling?
Hopefully you're not bottling up the Holy Spirit.

I have, plenty of times and I did not even know I was doing it most of those times.

I am thinking on this because of the youth pastor at a local church. In his sermon Sunday night he said, "Nothing is more cool than when the Holy Spirit is not bottled up".

I agree. Crazy unexpected marvelous miracles start to happen.

How do you know you are pouring the spirit and power of the mighty God into a bottle?

Here are some questions I ask myself to help keep me focused on keeping Him free to work in my life:

1.) Does praying for God to give you the answer to a choice you are making seem silly?
If the answer is yes- you have told the Holy Spirit who and what He can be in your life and it's not Lord.

2.) Does praying more than once for that answer seem like too much?
Here's how this one goes in my head- "Lord, you know I did not get a clear answer from you yesterday so now I am just going to go with my gut". Your gut and mine are very poor decision makers.

3.)Does a great idea that popped into your head appeal more to you than searching scripture for guidance?
Hey my head is a fountain of "great" ideas, they easily pop out, but most of them are pure foolishness to someone who knows the future. Oh, wait, there is only one who knows the future. Yep, God wins again.

4.)Does obedience really depends on how good you think God is treating you lately?
Brutal honesty- this is me at times. If I think I am getting a bum wrap, I am very testy. I weigh up the idea of doing the right thing.
"Here I am working out every day and I keep gaining weight- sorry Lord no deal, I am spending my money on clothes, all bets are off."

Just like a cold soda takes great when you pour it out of a glass bottle, so the Holy Spirit comes out sweet and refreshing when uncap all the insane conditions we have put on Him.

BTW: This morning I typed a whole other blog then had to delete it this morning because it was glaringly clear I had not asked the Holy Spirit what He wanted from me today.
James 5:16
Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.

No comments:

Post a Comment