Monday, March 19, 2012

You say it best, when you say nothing at all

For those of you who remember this song by Allison Krause,
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bNfay6HiUo ,
I have always loved this song.

Words, Words, Words. Our world is filled with them. We literally live in a snowstorm of words.
I think there are times for Words.


Last night our Associate Pastor discussed a perfect example of when words are needed. When someone lies about God or His word and you know it.

Speak up.
Tell the truth, but do it in Love. (Ephesians 4:15)
We all know that's the real catch.

When someone is saying something that is just not true about God or His word I get frustrated. Eternal souls are on the line, time is precious and in my frustration I may speak the truth like a fly swatter.
When someone openly hates on God, who has transformed my life and freed my soul, I feel anger because I love Him so much and then I can speak the truth like a baseball bat.
I have to keep a tight grip on my words at those times.
I have to speak freedom and better options.

But there is a time for less or no words.
I have come to believe that this time is when we are speaking for ourselves.
People, you aren't going to like these next few words.

I don't need to defend myself, when I do, I take God's opening to show Himself out of the equation.

Where did I get such a fool hearty idea? Scripture.

Psalm 91
1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."

Abiding the shadow is a metaphor unable to be matched with the phrase "standing up for yourself". Square peg, round hole.

Next:
1 Peter 2:11-12 English Standard Version (ESV)                                                           11 Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul. 12  Keep your conduct among the Gentiles honorable, so that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation.

What makes your fleshly mind more passionate than someone hurting your feelings? How hard is it to speak your defense in love and build up the other person?

I am prone to "jabs".
Around our house that's what we call the way an angry person can say I am sorry in a way that makes the other person look evil.
"I am so sorry that in my innocence, I stirred up your evilness" type apologies.
This verse basically guarantees people are gonna talk about you.
Let your actions speak for you, not your words.
On the few occasions I have been walking close enough with God to pull this off, amazing wonderful things, that I had nothing to do with, happened to set me in the right .


Finally,
Romans 12:19-21
Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” 20 To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Again, not a one single peep that we are to persuade, convince or cajole our adversaries with words to our side.

Just treat that person with the respect we all need but most often don't deserve.
God can handle the rest. Luckily for some of us, Mercy holds vengeance back long enough for us to come to our senses.

I hope that I am wise enough to know how foolish I am, and abide in the shadow of the Almighty.

No comments:

Post a Comment