Monday, April 29, 2013

Taking No for an answer

Prevailing wisdom says you shouldn't take no for an answer.
Prevailing wisdom is dumb.

I wanted something to work out this weekend. It wasn't a bad something. It was, in my mind, a great something that would benefit many people, but mainly I felt it would benefit me.

Because it was a big something that effected many people, I sat still and silent that night and asked God was this His will. Silent and still I clearly heard in my heart the word, "No".

Just that. Not any explanation or vision of why.
I am one of those firm believers that He doesn't owe me any thing else but who among us doesn't long to know the "whole" story.

I was irritable. Despite knowing it was certainly for the best, I wanted what I wanted.
Confirmation came later that yes, indeed I had heard correctly and what I wanted would not apparently be happening.

I can honestly say two days later, I am at peace with it.
I am glad I took the time to sit quietly and listen.
What I heard made it easier to deal with what ultimately happened.

Take the time to sit, quiet, still, alone and ask.
Take the time quiet, still, alone to listen.

You will be thankful you did.

2 comments:

  1. You are one of the most godly women I know. I love you and appreciate your wisdom. Know that I am praying for you. As you mentioned, I need to take the time to be still and listen. I am so busy with everything that I forget to do this. I will take the time today to sit, be still, quiet and listen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "who among us doesn't long to know the 'whole' story"--this is me. I agree--He doesn't owe me an answer. But still, I long to know. Here's hoping one day, we'll get to learn all the "why's" and see the larger picture. I'm dying to know!

    ReplyDelete