Monday, May 6, 2013

Tales of an e-reader curmudgeon

Resistance is futile.
My new Kindle Fire should have just whispered these words to me as I took it out of the box.

I did resist.
I am an avid reader. Usually a book a week. At least.
I have so many good memories of holding a book, especially a hard cover in my hand and curling up on a sofa or in a bed for a good long read.
Those tactile memories stored away in my fingers as they turn the pages and my eyes as they scanned the page. (Okay so the eyes now require glasses but so be it)
Even the smell of a new hard cover- come on you know what I mean, don't deny it.

Last cyber Monday I was lured in by the siren song of low prices to get a Kindle Fire.
Man, O, Man.
Free books, hundreds of them, from websites, the library, loans from friends. Jack pot.
Hundreds of books delivered through invisible waves directly to the Kindle.
Be still my 20th century heart.

Better yet I can place said Kindle in my purse, where it rests, slim, neat in it's hot pink cover (yes I am so girly as to have a hot pink e-reader cover) ready at a moments notice with said hundreds of books.

Yes, I do have to charge it, but it charges more quickly than my phone and keeps a charge for two full days of reading. Don't judge I am a substitute teacher at a middle school, what else am I supposed to do while they work worksheets?

Okay, Okay I do still have shelves of "hardcovers for when the electronic apocalypse occurs".
But I have to say I have been fully assimilated into the e-book collective much more easily than I expected to be.
(only the true Star Trek nerds will get all my crazy Borg references)

Join us, resistance is futile.

No comments:

Post a Comment