Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Nervous Ticks

Nervous Ticks- most of us have one. Nail biting, lip biting, blinking, hand wringing, etc.. I have one of the worst. I am a nervous talker. I get nervous and I start to blab. Usually about myself which only serves to make it worse. You cannot talk over me, you cannot slow me down until I have done a good chunk of damage to any likability I may have had.

I hate it. It's almost like I am out of control, like I am watching myself from the outside.
My desire is to be a comfort to people not to cause dismay or pain but once I get wound up- it's a runaway train.
I try to psych my self up before get togethers with friends- "ask questions, show interest in others and for the love of all that is good keep the 'Kellie report' under wraps!"
 Not to often do I make it the whole night.


I end up looking like a self obsessed air head.
Once in college my life verse was "Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue." Proverbs 17:28  It's not a new problem for me.


I share this because if I have done this to you, I hope you know I am aware of it. I am praying diligently that God will give me wisdom, a listening ear and ready prayers of encouragement. Don't give up on me yet- He's still working on me. 


And if you, like me, have a nervous mouth- don't be anxious over it, but pray.


I read this neat passage in The Power of a Praying wife, the author instructs wives to pray "give my husband a new wife, and let it be me". I really like that (a change so radical you aren't the same), so I am hijacking it- "Lord give my friends a new friend and let it be me".


Isn't hope cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment